Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Testimony from a friend

A friend of mine, I'll call him Elvis, wrote about his experience in our Living Waters program last year, and he gave me permission to share it.

I came to Living Waters after the breakup of my 23-year marriage. I was angry at my spouse, scared for my kids, and full of self-pity. While I had a supportive church and friend-network, much of my interaction with these groups was stuck in the why-did-she-do-this-to-me phase. While I had great support, I wasn't really processing or progressing through the pain. I was already aware of Living Waters through friends at church and when the fall program was announced, I felt led to inquire more about Living Waters. 


I was immediately struck with how well the program was structured to create a safe, non-judgemental environment in which the unique story of every participant could be shared with complete trust. The small group prayer was Spirit-led, brutally honest, and Christ centred. The leaders were warm and caring, and the bonds formed within the small group helped each of us feel accountable to the group. 


So, 6 months later, the Living Waters program has ended. Am I done? Am I healed? Is my marriage reconciled? Well, no. But those inward-focused questions probably aren't the best ones to ask. Do I know I am beloved by Jesus? Am I aware of His presence with me through this pain? Can I find peace in the knowledge that He is good and wants goodness for His children? The Living Waters program helped reshape my perspective, so I can answer emphatically yes! 


Elvis finished off his story by doing a little commercial for us.


The Living Waters program is not just for people with sexual addictions or same-sex attractions. It is a discipleship program for people who are relationally-broken, which is pretty much all of us! The Living Waters program can help anyone who wants to see what idols in their life are hindering their relationship with Christ and help them leave those idols at the foot of the cross. 


Thank you friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment