Thursday, March 17, 2011

"Healing through Weirdness"

That's what I called my workshop.
Well theatre exercises and games are pretty weird, but in theatre it’s what we do to hone our craft.  So I tried thinking of where goals in theatre exercises and goals in Living Waters intersect.  So I focused on freeing ourselves from perfectionism; freeing ourselves from the need for control; and freeing ourselves the fear of man.
Really that it’s ok to laugh at yourself.  In the body of Christ, we all take ourselves so seriously, and sometimes we need to let ourselves be silly, to look stupid and be ok with it because everybody is looking stupid in one way or another.
I’ll share a quote about perfectionism from Julia Cameron’s book The Artist’s Way:
To the perfectionist, there is always room for improvement.  The perfectionist calls this humility.  In reality, it is egotism… Perfectionism is not a quest for the best.  It is a pursuit of the worst in ourselves, the part that tells us that nothing we do will ever be good enough - that we should try again.
I think I need to read that to myself over again... and again... until I get it right!   ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment